The Connolly Guest Newsletter Series
With Sebastian Conran
British designer, Inventor and long time friend of Connolly..
1. What's new?
Plenty! I am currently enjoying my gorgeous-looking Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 single-cylinder café racer bike. It is a joy to ride and is very easy on the eye.
2. What's your favourite way to waste time?
Quite definitely tinkering in my workshop.
3. What do you tune in to on a car journey?
The Easy Rider movie soundtrack. It has memorable tracks from the likes of Dylan, Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Procul Harum, The Who and The Byrds – a treasury of rock.
4. What's your favourite road movie?
Easy Rider again. I was 16 and it left a deep impression on me. And certainly fed my life-long love of motorcycles! Additionally I love Blue Brothers…”There are 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses”
5. Who is your ideal travelling companion?
Either Andrew Nahum - Senior Keeper Emeritus of London’s Science Museum - or my wife Gertrude. Perhaps that should be the other way round!
6. What is your favourite view?
A series of challenging alpine hairpins looming above the handlebars of my Vitpilen racer.
7. What is the fastest speed at which you have travelled on land?
320kph on a Shinkansen bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto.
8. If you could invent a motoring accessory, what would it be?
A robotic chauffeur. But perhaps that won’t be so far away….
9. When in London....
I have always ridden a bicycle and a Vespa. The only way to get around.
10. Do you have a Connolly favourite?
My deep blue silk velvet car coat and the spotted cashmere scarves I wear every day.